We are a seven town regional district with an approved calendar and students traveling from all seven towns. Cancellations are based on weather in all seven towns. Although roads may be navigable in some of the towns, if they are not navigable in all seven towns, school openings will be delayed or closed.
The process remains consistent with prior Superintendents, as the first priority is always student safety.
- In the event of inclement weather,the Superintendent is in communication first with the road superintendents to check the conditions in each of the seven towns. This communication happens around 5:00 a.m. in the case of an early morning storm.
- The second step is to communicate with DuFour Bus Company to share the information and resulting decision. This call must be made by 5:30 a.m., as the buses begin to leave the lot by 5:50 a.m.
- School will not be canceled or delayed if the road superintendents report they are able to have the roads navigable by 5:50 a.m.
- On some occasions the road superintendents may inform the Superintendent that they need extra time beyond 5:50 a.m. to get the roads cleared.
- A two-hour delay is called if the road superintendent’s report they can complete their tasks by 7:50 a.m.
- A cancellation is called if road clearing will extend beyond 7:50 a.m.
- A cancellation is also called if the weather predictions call for sustained heavy snow, ice or sleet.
- Immediately following any decision to delay or close school families are informed via the all call system, email, the district website, radio stations and local television.
- Closing school after it has been opened is avoided at all costs due to the significant safety concerns it can pose for students being sent home during inclement weather.
- Closing due to temperature is also avoided if possible.